[TYPO3-typo3org] Suggestion on new TYPO3.org frontpage

Espen Svebak firebee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:36:51 CET 2006

Hi Staffan,
> I like the community feeling the design gives instead of the point of
> sale style.

Agreed. I belive that we need to communicate the extent of the community,
and the ability to contribute to it in small ways

> And over to some minor issues/suggestions
>
> I think it would look better centered and with a bit smaller right
> column. Maybe even a sharper border between them could improve the look.

Are you talking about the whole page or just the text paragraphs? Centering
the whole page would impact all of TYPO3.org, and I feel that it is beyond
what we would be able to accomplish with this frontpage redesign. My vote
would be on a flexible TYPO3.org layout sometime in the future though.

> The podcast field should have Download latest  Show all podcasts link at
> the bottom instead of the full title of the latest podcast as link
> (Download "Extensions: Special content elements" video)

The conventional "wisdom" in usability is to avoid generic terms as links
(eg. read more) but on the flip side "Download latest" is very descriptive
when presented in the right context. It could be that "Download latest
podcast" would work to.

The podcast "Extensions: Special content elements" header must be made
clickable also, but would it be good practice to link it directly to a large
download?

> And you could probably have more links on the same line in the other
> right column boxes.

Some changes could be done there.

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated :)