[TYPO3-typo3org] [ANN] Public beta test for TER2 ratings and frontend

Patrick Rodacker patrick.rodacker at the-reflection.de
Mon May 15 19:28:29 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

thank you very much for these really cool enhancements of the TER
frontend and finally bringing the review system into life.

Here are some questions and suggestions from my side:

Michael Scharkow wrote on 06.05.2006 15:06:

> 3. Ratings can be shown as plain numbers or CSS-styled star images (as
> seen in theoverall ratings column). Please think about where you like
> what display mode.

- Full and Review List: star images would be nice, but maybe are to wide
and crash the layout. I would suggest to not display the number of votes
in the full list or the reviewed list, so the number fits in one line.
Maybe it is possible to display the amount of votes and the stars in a
layer when hovering the ratings numbers.

- New, updated, popular and search result list: If it is possible I
would like to see the star images left to the state (alpha, beta,
stable) in the title row. This gives a very good overview to the user.
Don't know if this produces any problems with long extension keys and
names. Keep the numbers and the amount of votes in the rating cell as
available right now.

- Single View (all): same as above. Stars in the title row, numbers in
the rating cell.

- Single View Rating Table: I would prefer the overall column values to
be displayed as numbers, so we have the star images only in the title
row of the extension.

> Please do some heavy testing for HTML, CSS, Layout issues, functionality
> of TER, function of ratings, searching, sorting, etc. ALL YOU CAN FIND!
>
> Please post all test information and suggestions in this thread, except
> if you find security problems (I tried hard but there can always be
> some), than please reply to mscharkow at gmx.net

One question about the rating dimension and the rating qualities. I
don't think every logged in user should be able to rate the quality of
the code. This has to be done by people really knowing about quality of
code not by every user with a user account. Maybe this dimension should
be reduced to "compatibility" only?

In the single View (ratings) the column "Notes" is to small. I support
the idea you have As you replied to Sebastian using icons for the
headings of the rating dimension columns and a legend (cutline) to
explain the icons ;-). I would suggest to set the vertical align of all
columns to "top" instead of "middle".

And the last question: is a user able to vote once for each extension
version or only once overall?

Thanks again to go to the time and effort of setting this up.

Regards
Patrick