[TYPO3-typo3org] [ANN] Public beta test for TER2 ratings and frontend

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Mon May 8 11:49:11 CEST 2006

Krystian Szymukowicz wrote:

> The popularity rankings gives me opportunity to get knowledge about what
> extensions are used in typical TYPO3 installation.
>
> That is useful.
> How useful?

Well, you can see the most downloads (atm. 20 items, but easily enlarged
to X), and you can see all extensions by rating now already. I'd only
argue that even if you're looking for typical stuff there is a useful
limit of the "typically used extensions", and therefor pagination of top
100-150 items still does not sound useful to me.

> Popularity ranking at typo3.org as it is now can of course give some not
> precise result because clear download counter is too simple and it
> should be extended with time stamp. This could give us the chance to
> have most popular extension in last 3 months and so on. And that could
> be really, really useful.
>
> I am ready to sponsor 50$ to get such functionality. I know it's too few
> to get anybody to do that but hope that there may be others who think it
> could be useful to have such thing and would sponsor too.

This feature is beyond what I can do because it would need additional
TER (not only ter_fe) functionality, that's clearly Robert's domain. For
this we would need a dedicated download counter table (which would
certainly become HUGE in no time) with extkey, version, tstamp. Not
really difficult to implement, plus we'd get rid of the downloadcounter
in extensions.xml and the related table. Sounds like a good idea.

I'll note this and maybe Robert is reading here, too, so he can have a
word about this.

Cheers,
Michael