[TYPO3-typo3org] [ANN] Public beta test for TER2 ratings and frontend

Krystian Szymukowicz t33k.RE.MO.VE at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Mon May 8 11:04:41 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow wrote:

> Man, what's the point of all the popularity contest. Seriously: As a
> TYPO3 user I need an extension that solves a particular problem and not
> the most popular or best rated. Those dimensions come into play *after*
> I already found some extensions.
>
> If you're hungry you don't walk into the supermarket and ask the staff
> for the best selling item (which, eventually, might not even be food). I
> have never chosen a piece of software because it was popular but only
> because I needed it for some task.

I can not agree with you Michael.

The popularity rankings gives me opportunity to get knowledge about what
extensions are used in typical TYPO3 installation.

That is useful.
How useful?

One may think that in his installation there is nothing he can improve
but AFTER looking at most used extensions he can find something that he
was not aware of. If you are not aware what are you looking for how can
you find that - look through all 1600 extension?

Example: KB Clean Files
How can newbies with their knowledge knows that there can be tons of
unused files and undeleted records that can be cleaned.

Popularity ranking at typo3.org as it is now can of course give some not
precise result because clear download counter is too simple and it
should be extended with time stamp. This could give us the chance to
have most popular extension in last 3 months and so on. And that could
be really, really useful.

I am ready to sponsor 50$ to get such functionality. I know it's too few
to get anybody to do that but hope that there may be others who think it
could be useful to have such thing and would sponsor too.

--
Krystian