[TYPO3-typo3org] [ANN] Public beta test for TER2 ratings and frontend

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Mon May 8 10:04:09 CEST 2006

Juergen Egeling wrote:
> * Michael Scharkow <mscharkow at gmx.net> [060506 15:06]:
>> because ratings work only with logged-in users. And please be nice to my
>> small vserver!
>
> Hello,
> it is very nice, *but* as always some suggestions:
> 1.) the full list the rating column works if we have a few raters like
>   now, but think of how it looks like it 10324 people voted for one EXT.

I think I'll just limit the rating table display to 30 (?) entries which
should suffice for getting an overview. The older entries still go into
the calculation of the rating but are not displayed any longer.

> 2.) For the Updated column it might give some more space if you show
>   the dates like Unix does in ls: Like "Nov  8 11:41" if its within one year from
>   now and "Oct 28  2005" if its older... But oh well I am not sure about this.

That is plain TYPO3 behaviour, but I think I'll reformat it to YY/MM/DD.

> 3.) Technical question: When is the rating calculated? During display, or when
>   someone actually votes? I really suggest that it is calculated during the
>   voting, as I assume that voting is done far less than viewing, and this
>   would decreas database load. Or how are you doing the rating calculation?

The ratings are computed whenever a new rating entry is saved, the
rating and vote count for every extension version are cached in a
dedicated table which is joined on the extension table, so there is
still only *one* SQL select performed in most situations to get both
extension info and ratings from the db.

I wrote the whole rating system with that issue in mind.

Greetings,
Michael