[TYPO3-typo3org] little rant about TER captcha (but not only)

Fri Jul 28 09:21:54 CEST 2006

Thomas Hempel wrote:
> What is the result of 12 + 3: ________
>
> I think that is much harder for bots to solve. And still very easy for
> humans. You can also write such a question in full prosa. Like
>
> Please insert the result of 12 plus three: ________

Hi,

if I want to attac a special machine, I still can do that with a few
regular expressions of perl, even if the grammer and the numbers change
within a small range by accident. The range is limited because your
computer needs itself to understand it to produce the result.

If you provide a catalogue of questions like "capital of italy" it is also
limited so that questions occure again and again. So it is possible to mass
attac this easily.

ASCII based questions of this kind can give a better protection than none,
but they are fare behind a real captcha.

Regards

Elmar