[TYPO3-typo3org] TYPO3.org nice but 800px?

Steffen Müller steffen at kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 15 12:40:05 CET 2006

Hi.

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:

>> The TER certainly works just as well in the limited width, once the
>> output
>> is fixed and very few pages (like the server compatibility page)  use
>> large
>> tables.
>

> I still prefer smaller fonts.
> Pages like this will not look pretty without it:

Let me share my point of view.
I don't mind pages looking not that pretty they could look. Prettyness
in most cases is a question of taste. But I *do* mind pages stressing my
eyes. In the case of typo3.org, we loose readability not by increasing
font size, but using a fixed width of 800px (450px for content). So
either I stress my eyes by small fonts or by unneccessary line breaks.

>From a users point of view, we only need to regard *one* thing: Give 'em
back the control over their screens.
We therefore don't have to deny designers "dotcom optical" point of view.
Since there's CSS to control the appearance of web pages, we have the
possibility to fit all needs. If there are volunteers, a second CSS
stylesheet could be added.

My favorite example of TYPO3 driven, accessible, usable and user
friendly website is:
http://schwangau.de

Compare the german version with the english one. You well see the
difference. Then play around with the CSS Options in the german Version.
You can find them in the left column, called "Einstellungen". Choose
between 2 or 3 column layout, remove stylesheet ...

Believe me, it's worth a visit.

--
cheers,
Steffen