[TYPO3-typo3org] Authentication against typo3.org fe_users

Wed Aug 23 22:40:37 CEST 2006

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Tasks:
>
> 1) LDAP evaluation
>    - Check if LDAP is really needed or if plain SQL authentication would be
>      sufficient for the projects mentioned below
>      => anyone?
>
>    - If LDAP is needed: Move fe_users of typo3.org into an LDAP repository
>      => needs support from punkt.de who are probably familar with LDAP
>         already

Hi Michael,

I just want to remark that LDAP is a protocol not a server by nature. There
are ways of authentication against a relational database by the LDAP!!!!

LDAP server have disadvantages comparing relational databases:

1.) The ID inside an LDAP server is the "path". Relations would be lost, if
you move entries.

2.) In relational databases you can assign a user to multiple groups. In an
LDAP server every user is part of one group. Multiple relations are badly
supported because of the hierarchical nature of LDAP servers.

Unfortunatly some software like email clients only know the LDAProtocol for
connections. But again: I think it the most flexible solution to access
relational databases by LDAP instead of setting up LDAP servers.

Regards

Elmar