[TYPO3-typo3org] Ratings, another try

Wed Apr 5 00:14:38 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> Elmar Hinz wrote:
>
>> More simple query: WEIGHTED AVG =  $factor * AVG(current) +  AVG(all)
>>
>> Where $factor can be configured or even selected by the user from
>> dropdown.
>

> How is this supposed to ensure the 1-5 scale, sorry I'm bad in math...

This result has not a 1-5 scale. It is just a value suited to rank current
extensions with each other, but the absolute value varies depending on the
$factor. Eval the best result to 5 (1?) and other results accourdingly
lower ...

>> Why a an extra caching table? Why storing version etc. ?
>

> 1. I can't use any other table as the normal extension table is cleared
> with every extensions.xml update. I'm just wondering how the download
> counter is updated, or is that stored in the XML? Robert?

O.K.

> 2. As I wrote: Ratings are bound to versions, and *all* extension lists
> on typo3.org basically list specific versions and not extensionkeys
> (except the most downloaded view which first computes the most
> downloaded extensions and *then* selects the current stable version of
> those)

It is clear that you need a table for the votings, where each voting is
registerd with result and version. But you wouldn't need a second caching
table, if there would be a "normal" persistant table, for each extension,
that contains the different versions. If there is not such a table because
Robert flashes the tables regularly, you need to make one persistant.

/El