[TYPO3-typo3org] Ratings, another try

Tue Apr 4 21:34:05 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> I hope to finish the rating system for t3.org this week, but I need some
> help and hints.

I happy to hear it.

> WEIGHTED_AVG(version) = 2*AVG(version) + AVG(olderversions)) / 3

More simple query: WEIGHTED AVG =  $factor * AVG(current) +  AVG(all)

Where $factor can be configured or even selected by the user from dropdown.

Why a an extra caching table? Why storing version etc. ?

I would add one field only to the main table with the weighted result. (Or
4 fields for 4 different $factors) Updated by a simple script once a day.

> With both solutions the problem remains that it is possible that a
> overall top rated extension does not have any (good) ratings attached to
> the current stable version, which is displayed everywhere...
>
> Any thoughts on this? And please, no ideas without implementation
> proposals!

Not really clever:

WEIGHTED AVG =  $factor * AVG(current) + $factor/2 * AVG(last) +  AVG(all)

Encapsulate evaluation for later optimization.

Regards

Elmar