[TYPO3-typo3org] Ratings, another try

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Tue Apr 4 20:31:38 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow wrote:
[...]
> Solution 1: Average ratings are always for *all* extension versions,
> this is as easily computed in SQL, but poses a new problem: The top
> rated extension might not have one single rating for the current
> version, or a long-time bad-ass extension might never make it above
> average because of the old ratings legacy, even if the current versions
> are top rated.
>
> Solution 2: Make the ratings for the current version weigh more than the
> older ratings. I don't want to write a research paper on this, so why
> not simply say
[...]

Hi Michael,
I'm not a programmer, so I can't give you any detailed implementation
proposals, but only a simple-minded idea:
What about making ratings time-related? Say, ratings that are older than
a half year get only half the weight, ratings older than a full year get
only a quarter of the weight, etc.?

This would have the additional benefit that abandoned extensions that
are not used anymore (perhaps because there is a better extension out
there that does the same) would automatically rate lower.

Regards,
Ro