[Typo3-typo3org] Bad links?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Sep 23 14:58:28 CEST 2005

Hi Kasper,

> The page "Code Guidelines" were found under "about/code-guidelines" in
> the beginning of 2005. During the "Spring cleaning" robert moved this
> page to the developer section. Actually the new URL should have been
> "developer/code-guidelines" to be correct but due to the cache of
> realurls the page ID was still associated with "about/code-guidelines".
> So old links worked after the spring cleaning and nobody noticed the
> "falsely speaking url". But when I installed the newer version I
> (accidentially?) flushed the whole path-to-id-mapping table in the
> database to let it rebuilt. By doing that the old urls didn't work
> anymore of course.

Hmmm. You ask if it was a mistake to flush the mapping table. Wouldn't it be
easier to just try importing this table from the backup?

>>From my point of view the problem now is that the system contains
>
> absolutely no clue about what old URLs were there! So the only way to
> reestablish old URLs would be to have them reported in!
>
> I don't know if this theoretical scenario describe parts of the problems
> or none or almost all. Despite my efforts (see typo3.org frontpage) to
> get links report I only got two at this point and they were mostly
> irrelevant".
>
> Please report those links to me...

How will you proceed with this next time the problem occurs?

I really don't understand why RealUrl works so hard! I wonder if it's wise
to think about restarting that project?

Best regards
- michael
--