[Typo3-typo3org] Portal-features for typo3 - let's get that stuff done

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2005 at typo3.com
Tue Sep 20 18:18:48 CEST 2005

Hi Franz,

> also asked if someone 'd like to join the team. So here I am :)

Great! Unfortunately we are low on leadership capacity :-)

First of all, your mail doesn't belong to this list I believe but the
dev-list.

Secondly we don't have portal features on the roadmap at this point and
certainly not for version 4.0 so in any case no immediate help can be
given from core developers.

But...:

> Well, the reason I'm writing here is, that I'm currently working on a
> portal based on typo3 (I at least try to do it) and I planed to code
> some of these features anyway - although I'm not (yet) that familiar
> with extension-coding and the core-functions. (I allready coded
> extensions and hacked some, but I think that is quite not enough for that).
>
> I did a little research in the TER, because many of the feature are
> allready available in seperate extensions - but those extensions don't
> work the way I'd like them to for a portal or need to be hacked to much.
> So I decided for my portal to make new ones where neccessary which work
> all together - but I haven't started coding yet (maybe next month, cause
> I need a working version till newyear).
>
> Here is a list of general features, I think that typo3 needs and that
> have to work hand in hand to be suitable for typo-based portals. (and
> some of them could be nice for typo3.org, too).
>
> - private messaging
> - buddylist
> - memberlist
> - extendable user-profiles
>    (modular, e.g. with or without forum-statistics, job-statistics etc.)
> - auto-login
> - awards
> - users online
> - rating / commenting
> - polls
> - forum with total integration of above features
>    (maybe pimping chc_forum or asking the guys from typo3.net)
> - extended user registration
> - tell a friend
> - job-board (search and provide)
> - FE-'tastcenter' with an overview of 'everything'
> - portal-wide search (either the forum has to be indexed
>    or implemented in indexed_search)
> - global categories for pages, content, media, news, polls etc. for a
>    category-based search and information-handling in the BE
>    (maybe based on DAM-categories?)
> - some kind of 'interface' for portal-based extensions to work together
>    e.g. if the user-profile get's new fields added, that the
>    user-registration automatically detects them and ask them during
>    user-registration or the other way

This is very useful list! Thanks a lot.

This summer I came up with the idea of a "portal standard" for TYPO3 and
that is mainly suppose to be coding guidelines combined with a code
framework that supports the creation of portal features that are well
integrated. This quickly extends into FE-plugins broadly speaking and
thus is quite ambitious.

I will save your mail for future reference when I look more at that.

- kasper