[Typo3-typo3org] Mailing list archive, what next?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Sep 19 20:16:44 CEST 2005

Hi Juergen,

> We have SYMPA running, and made a gateway from sympa to news and vice
> versa. With Sympa we also uses the Webinterface, and this has a search
> option which works. I just testet it.

Well, Mailman also claimed that it provides a news gateway. Indeed it does,
but there were problem with wrong message IDs which caused threads to be
broken. Since this was not what I wanted, I needed to fix this. Finally it
took me three (holi)days to get around it. I write this just in case you
wondered why I am so hesistating with this...

> I think it is using mhonarc http://www.mhonarc.org/, which I donno how
> hard it is to configure alone. We just configured SYMPA and it takes care
> of mhonarc.
>
> My personal favour would be SYMPA with the news gateway (if news gateway
> is really needed.)

Last time I checked the statistices, there were around 60% of all postings
sent via news server. So yes it is really needed!

Anyway. Mailman runs so fine, why should we switch only because of the
archive when we could also install mhonarc in combination with Mailman?

(BTW I am currently offline but will have a look at mhonarc later this
week...)

> Even SYMPA alone with the search function is what I would like. The
> advantage would be, that we easily could put high load Mailing lists on
> dedicated servers.

There is no problem with the load of the mailing lists.

As you might guess right, I am currently not so enthusiastic about leaving
Mailman. The only reason for me to switch to Sympa one day is because it
can use foreign user databases. In my opinion this is not an urgent task.
Until the day we really need it, Mailman might probably provide the same
feature, too...

Best regards
- michael
--