[Typo3-typo3org] webinterface to news & mails

Steffen Müller steffen at mail.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 14 22:17:44 CEST 2005

Hi.

On 14.10.2005 21:43 Bernhard Kraft wrote:

> What you want is an Adaptor
>
> newsgroup-server <-> i-net <-> Adptor to program <-> chc_forum
>
> Would be the best integrated solution in my opinion.
>
> So you would need an nntp interface for chc_forum (storing and reading posts
> via nntp)
>
> I don't think that should be too complicated using the PHP native IMAP/NNTP functions.

we already had a "web-newsgroup-mailinglist" discussion a month ago:

The facts were:

# The former used maillisttofaq extension did a good job.
Con: It slowed down typo3.org

# There is a fast and economic webclient for nntp available: NewsPortal
Con: It does not have a search engine.

# There is a tool with searche engine (based on DB stores): mynewsgroups
Con: It seems to be outdated (last development is >2 years ago)

# Sympa is capable of all that features.
Con: A lot of work and time has been spent to configure mailman, and it
does a good job. What we need is a new web-frontend, not a new
mailinglist server.

If we decide to combine all those features in one application, we have
two problems:
- DB-stored archives are easliy searchable, but the hugh amount of data
and requests may slow down the webserver.
- Searching without a DB (via NNTP) is slow and will DOS the NNTP-server.

So chc_forum may cause the same problems as maillisttofaq.

--
cheers,
Steffen