[Typo3-typo3org] project help wanted corner

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at vcd-berlin.de
Thu Oct 6 18:12:49 CEST 2005

> Great idea, and I dare to say that we (the typo3.org webmasters) will gladly
> help anybody wanting to establish that. Just come forward with a more
> detailed proposal how this would be structed, look like and realized! I
> mean it.

Hello Karsten,

as for myself I haven't a very detailed view of it. I only can tell my
story of feeling very alone as an extension maintainer. That brought me
to the ideal that an "extension job board" could be usefull.

When I published vcd_calendar I didn't expect it so time intensiv to
maintain it. I was looking for other people that would support me in
implementing bugfixes and development, but nobody voluntered for it.
Instead a lot of bugfixes and feature requests came in.

So the vcd_calendar became on of the sleeping extensions. For this
reason Jens Witt reimplemented vcd_calendar as jw_calandar. Now  there
are two sleeping projects that are quite the same.

The reason why I did vcd_calendar was because the row of tt_calendar >
advCalendar > advCalendarExtended was a mess, unmaintained and bugy as
it was at that time. calendar came out in prallel for the same reasons.

You can make up this row: tt_calendar > advCalendar >
advCalendarExtended > vcd_calendar > jw_calendar > ???

I guess that tells a typical story of the deficiencies of the old TER.

I know this voluntary board from sourceforge and have the impression
that it works. At least it is used intensivley.

The project owner on sourceforge can publish support requests with a
description orderd by some categories. That are published on the board.
Thats all.

Interested people answer by a mailform and send their username. The
project owner takes them up into the project team by the username. That
feature is already implemented in the old TER.

> Don't underestimate the fact, though, that quite a few people will still
> upload such extensions, just for their few minutes of fame... :)

That is probalby a second reason.

> Prove me wrong,
> Karsten

Regards

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh, Spain, Portugal,
Austria, Swiss, France, ...