[Typo3-typo3org] TER 2.0 - updated concept!

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Tue Apr 26 12:48:49 CEST 2005

>>Format of t3x:
>>Couldn't that be just a normal zip file?
>>Pros: It's a standard format that could also be used in other
>>environments such as an IDE or by other external tools. Due the fact
>>that the TER uses soap as its protocol several restrictions on how to
>>communicate are done, so opening the way for other tools could be a
>>chance.
>
> A format similar to SXW files would be nice (zipped with XML meta files
> etc.) but that would be a completely new thing. I think we should leed the
> discussion about a new T3X format independently from developing the TER
> because ther TER has to support the old format anyway.

ok, sounds well.

> We could even think of Meta-Extensions like "graphics handler". The
> dependency would be fulfilled if either ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick is
> installed because the both are graphics handler or whatever you might call
> them.
great. many of the ideas of the debian system.

> Yes, I thought about that. What I didn't like was that you won't realize
> that a new version of an extension exists unless you apt-get update. So in
> the end most people will fetch an updated extensions.xml each time they
> want to download extensions.
> How about caching the merged extensions.xml for the lifetime of the current
> backend session?
is also a way. but merging different repository metadata costs system
power. is a point to have an eye on.

>>As I posted in the past, first ideas for such a xml file. Did not get
>>any feedback.
>>http://icecrash.com/fileadmin/data/typo3org/Extension.xml
> That is something to start with but of course it's not complete yet. If you
> like you could try to create a complete extensions.xml and then ask for
> feedback so we can discuss what you did?
That was only thought as a start. The idea is to have an alternative to
the ext_em.conf on a xml base. Will review it an the discuss it.

>>I take over the DTD-writing part if wanted.
> DTD, XML Schema or RELAX-NG?
Only DTD or Schema makes sense (widely used standards). For that task
Schema makes no sense as it complicates the whole task. The definition
will be a really small one, so a DTD should be enough (as long as we
have one :)

Cheers