[Typo3-typo3org] TER / EM - more categories

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Tue Apr 19 16:40:16 CEST 2005

Rainer (Rene) Suthoelder wrote:

> not really, since it creates a big overhead.
> more suitable would be indicating _minimum_ requirements including version
> numbers for typo3, typo3 modules, DB and PHP as well as all required
> additional 3rd party software that is needed to run the extensions (the last
> one is something that's not included in current TER/EM).

Minimum requirements should relate to TYPO3 version *only*. If 3.8 runs
with MySQL xyz and PHP xyz, then an extension for 3.8 should run on it.
After all, we're extending Typo3 not PHP or Apache or Linux...

Compatibility should be checked by the extension authors, so that the
current T3 version is supported (given T3 backwards compatibility this
is not too hard to accomplish), except if you have a 3.5 enhancing ext
which should be mentioned in the description.

This together with dependencies to other extensions should be enough.

> as we all know, production status is _not_ maintained well enough by the
> developers and kasper should decide to _drop the reviewing process at all_:
> out of the 840 listed/available extensions only 8 have been reviewed and
> none have met the "cohiba status". if at all, perhaps the review process
> should better be replaced by a voting system by registered typo3.org users.

As we all know as well, an extension reviewing team has been formed, so
reviewing will be done in the near future.

> this makes more sense: in the EM you should be able to select/de-select more
> fields should be preselected/de-selected (like "runs on linux only", "needs
> typo3 v3.8" etc.).

As said, I propose filtering by a) status, b) runs-on-my-installation (=
Typo3 version) and later c) reviewed/non-reviewed...

This should give enough flexibility. And I am not sure about more
categories because what would those be? Most fe plugins display some
tables only, so what criteria can be used then? And given the number of
extensions for some issue, we could have a whole calendar or event
system category...

Greetings,
Michael