[Typo3-typo3org] TER / EM - more categories

Rainer (Rene) Suthoelder t3 at boswel-remove-me.de
Tue Apr 19 13:47:35 CEST 2005

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] wrote:

> I mainly meant the idea of displaying only version approved extension.
> Problem might be that you could have 4 versions of an extension.
> Let's say "tt_whatever".
> so you would have:
> tt_whatever 3.5
> tt_whatever 3.6
> tt_whatever 3.7
> tt_whatever 3.8

this would contradict kasper's intention for compability amongst the
extensions and t3 versions and would further blow up the repository content.

- how would you approve a certain extensions? when all possible typo3 and OS
plattforms have been checked?
- do you want to maintain all the typo3 version-specific extensions
(patches, features)?
- ...

> Does this make sense?

not really, since it creates a big overhead.
more suitable would be indicating _minimum_ requirements including version
numbers for typo3, typo3 modules, DB and PHP as well as all required
additional 3rd party software that is needed to run the extensions (the last
one is something that's not included in current TER/EM).
if there would be a EM system that would map out incompatible extensions -
big improvement (read below for more details).

And Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] wrote:

> I think the most immediate solution is not to open more categories,
> but to filter extensions by their production status.
> That means by default one would only find so-called "system
> extensions"+ cohiba-reviewed extensions in the TER, also when
> accessing through the EM.

as we all know, production status is _not_ maintained well enough by the
developers and kasper should decide to _drop the reviewing process at all_:
out of the 840 listed/available extensions only 8 have been reviewed and
none have met the "cohiba status". if at all, perhaps the review process
should better be replaced by a voting system by registered typo3.org users.

> Everything else would be "projects" and
> would only appear when you expressly tick that box, like you select
> "shy" today.

this makes more sense: in the EM you should be able to select/de-select more
fields should be preselected/de-selected (like "runs on linux only", "needs
typo3 v3.8" etc.).
and if you could select categories you are not interested in: fine, another
300 entries less in the list.

categorization is another field. on the english list, someone posted
http://www.xoops.org/modules/repository/ as an example for a categorization.
perhaps these categories are a bit too fine granulated, but the general idea
is not that bad.

it would be nice if typo3.org users could suggest extensions to be placed in
this or that category, since developers might not care at all.

my 2 cents,

rainer