[Typo3-typo3org] Hosting the TYPO3 sites

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Sat Apr 9 20:56:27 CEST 2005

Hi,
> No. To use PostgreSQL would mean to use DBAL. This *has* a performance
> impact, that is probably not outweighed by the advantages a different
> database might have, speed-wise.
for a pragmatic start, only the class t3lib_db has to be migrated as I
know. Only this and a timetrack class were printed on a grep mysql_.
So by converting this class there shouldn't be any overhead.

> Plus, to make use of stored procedures, those would have to be written, and
> to make use of prepared queries, those would have to be actively supported.
Writing those is no problem, and have some special solutions for
typo3.xxx should also be no problem as long as the problems are solved
first. What parts of the discussion are long-terms, which are short-terms?

The only really dirty thing is the typo3 database schema, it's just
written down, no big optimizations. To convert this to a good
psql-schema there is a little bit of work. Have partly done this, but
there is a big chance for more optimizations.

For one of my growing sites I definitly plan to migrate to postgres
completely.

It's nice to now that postgres could at least as fast as mysql (or
faster too) with a much better data integrity.

Greets