[TYPO3-hci] TYPO3 4.2 blog entry

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Sun May 18 14:11:51 CEST 2008

Hey guys,
>> Refering to the blog from Hannes, I think he see the use of "tabbed
>> menu" in content elements, for instance "General | Text | Media
>> |Access" on top of Text w/image is a tabbed menu, making the users
>> both a bit confused and making need for more mouse clicks than necessary.
>
> Ok. We call them just "tabs" :) Now it is clear. I agree they are not
> very good and now users have to make more clicks than they did before.

It just came into my mind when I read your posts. How about a option to
change the way "tabs"/fieldgroups get rendered?

Tabs really might not be the best way to group fields when the interface
has been limited to only a bunch of form fields, because you need to
scroll to the top of the form and click. How about a alternative to tabs
and use a expand/collapse interface like it's used by IRRE? Ok, you
would still need to do the additional click - but you can just click in
place and we could provide a "expand/collapse all" button somewhere or a
option "always expand all" or something. So it'll be something like a
extended version of the "secondary options".

But it should be an alternative way of rendering "tabs".

>> A bit OT: I always use the method of "simple is better" when setting
>> up editors. I find it's easier to enhance the functionality when the
>> user need it, than to restrict it. It also makes the editor learn
>> faster, and when he/her is used to the backend they mostly understand
>> new functionality in a easy way.
>
> I am a huge fan of "simple is better" too.
+1

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch