[TYPO3-hci] Extension Manager - Usability

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Thu May 15 14:23:08 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Benjamin Mack wrote:
>> * Get the Installer 2.0 going again and integrate the EM in this
>> awesome framework afterwards.
>
> I do not think it should be done. Often at client you have no access to
> Installer but you still have access to EM to install extensions. Very
> common use case...

true, but maybe the installer should be able to request the EM to
download (in the background) some extension at least.
Scenario: we do some non backwardscompatible change in the core and
create some compatability extension in the TER which is only needed by
old installations, but not for new installations.

Now when updating a system the Installer could ask the EM to download
that extension...

just some slidly off topic thoughts
Ingo

--