[TYPO3-hci] Combine page and list module into one module

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon May 12 10:04:24 CEST 2008

Hi!

Andreas Balzer wrote:
> So here's the question: Why does the list module allows you to create,
> modify and remove content elements on standard pages? Don't we have the
> page module for this?

Because it is a List module: it provides the same functionaly to all records in the system.

> Possible solution:
> 1) Restrict users to create content elements for pages inside page
> elements. Do not allow users to create content elements for pages inside
> sysfolders.

Sorry, no go. There are use cases when content element must be in sysfolders to be selected randomly (or with certain logic) to be presented on pages.

> 2) Restict users to create elements for extensions within sysfolders. Do
> not allow users to create elements for extensions within page elements.

I see no any real reason for this as well. "Do not implement a feature just because you can" principle.

> 3) Remove the functionality of the list module to create standard
> content elements. Only allow the list module to create elements for
> extensions.

No, because it is a List module. It manages all records by design.

> 4) Combine the page and the list module. If a page has been opened in
> the pagetree, show the page view. If a sysfolder has been opened, show
> the list view.

And how do you plan to manage domain records on pages then?

> What do you think?

I do not like the changes because they do not really help in my opinion. They also remove big flexibility of TYPO3.

Sorry :(

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team