[TYPO3-hci] Visual feedback on clicks

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Jul 16 11:46:36 CEST 2008

Oliver Hader wrote: on 16.07.2008 10:35:

> Benjamin Mack schrieb:
>> I noticed the slowness as well. I think one factor is templating of
>> the Backend. I know that I introduced this, but the problem is that
>> every time you click on a page in the BE, the template needs to be
>> loaded, markers replaced because there is no BE cache. One more reason
>> for my why I am rooting for Smarty in the BE, as it has a template
>> cache built in. Would be really helpful.
>
> Michiel Roos wrote a nice article concerning this slowness, maybe
> someone could give it a try:
> http://typofree.org/articles/optimizing-typo3-backend-responsiveness/

Cool article, thanks a lot for the link. And nice tool, the YSlow FF
extension, I didn't know it before.

>> But seems like nobody would take the initiative to try out smarty
>> (e.g. integrating the smarty extension as a sysext) for the BE and
>> then have real speed tests and comparisons :) Wouldn't that be awesome?

> Since Tim Lochmüller announced that he's working on a study project
> about TYPO3 performance in general, maybe I could ask him to do some
> profiling and testing with Smarty in the back-end as well.

Even with all "server" and "caching" tweaking the UI is still very slow
in the backend. For example if I reload (or login) to TYPO3, the backend
modules to the left build up very slowly, whereas it was usually
"instantly" there in previous versions. Backend loads in 5-6s now, where
it used to load in 1-2s. I hope we can see some news on that area before
4.3. :)

Cheers,
Ernesto