[TYPO3-hci] Why t3skin sucks right now?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Apr 22 09:45:48 CEST 2008

Hey Benni,

> My downsides (I'm still using it):
>
> - Mixture of completely different iconsets
> - The background grey is a bit cold and the contrast it not
> well-thought-out
> - It feels slower than oldskin
> - It's incomplete

I'm also 'still' using it in 4.0 and 4.1, but definitely never for 4.2.
There I'm going to use 'modern_skin' from Lasse which feels a lot more
up2date, has friendly colors, good contrasts, a clear highlighting
color, clearly visible text links and much more. I like it very much,
although it's a Mac theme and I'm a M$ guy.

So my downsides for the typo3 skin are:
- the design it's somewhat outdated and doesn't feel like a application
- the contrast is somewhat bad/not there at all
- it's far far away from any usability
- no clearly visible highlighting/hover colors
- the icons are to hard to distinguish
- way to much grey - which is too depressing
- BE-forms look overloaded and messy, because the coloring of the
'header' bars inside a field-block is the same then for the block itself
and not visually structured
- form-fields miss a :hover and :focus styling
- tabs don't feel like tabs and are easily overseen
- form buttons don't feel like buttons (they look like textfields)
- docheader-icons don't look like buttons and a seem a bit lost

Feature-Wishes:
- forms should use the <label>-Tag for the labels
- the tooltips of the CSH-icons could use a slight delay, so that they
don't pop up when you're moving the mouse over the page
- the BE looks a bit too scattered (f.e. the list view). The options at
the bottom (extended view, clipboard, search) could be grouped and styled

To make the current 4.2 skin at least a bit useable, I'd suggest to use
a different background-color for the pagetree frame (maybe white) to get
at least a bit contrast in there to distinguish the three main parts of
the BE. Also the 'collapse' button/bar could be a bit more clearly visible.

Just my 2,5 cents.

--
kind regards,
Franz