[TYPO3-hci] some wordings from BE

Malte Jansen mail at maltejansen.de
Wed Nov 14 11:19:42 CET 2007

Franz Koch schrieb:
> Hi Malte,
>
>>> well, somebody else is using the keywords field very often as it is
>>> important for SEO - another one is maintaining a intranet and has to
>>> use fe_groups quite often. If you take all possibilities into account
>>> you get the same result as currently.
>>
>> Your right. This why there should be kind of vote. Which are generally
>> used.
>
> You are free to start one. But that doesn't solve to overall problem,
> that fields are not logically grouped by their functions. If you put
> some fields for visibility/access to the main tab and some to a special
> tab - where is the improvement?

Perhaps there should be the grouping first.

And than make a vote or suggestion.

>>> Splitting this things up into well grouped tabs is from my point of
>>> view a very necessary step and quite suitable for a default setup. If
>>> somebody has to deal with certain fields quite often, he is free to
>>> change the default TCA settings and arrange the fields for his needs
>>> - it's really no big deal to do.
>>
>> You could it, but the main fields should be displayed in the main
>> palette. I'm explaining editors the functions of t3. So you have
>> fields which every editor uses for creating a new page and fields
>> which the admin (who designed the homepage) makes, because there are
>> to complicated for a normal user.
>
> I understand your concern - I also train editors - so I know the
> problems. But it's part of the admin to rearrange the fields for the
> customers needs. There will never be a overall solution for all needs -
> and every admin has it's own way to handle things. I can only speak for
> the experience I have with my (DAU) customers.

But there is no possibilty to change the layout like the type via TS...

> In a previous posting you suggested something like a AJAX expansion for
> palettes if I understood you correct. But where is the difference if I
> click on the AJAX button or the tab to see the fields?

No I don't want to use AJAX. Here some example for $TCA what I mean.

["types"] = Array (
	"0" => Array("showitem" => "
		--div--;LLL:some title,
		--palette--;LLL:....Publications;publication;;2-2-2,
		")
)
["palettes"] = Array (
	"publication" => Array("showitem" =>
"hidden,starttime,endtime",","canNotCollapse" => TRUE),
)

Perhaps there should be 2 recursive fields one for publication and one
for access... Than there should be no problem with moving them between
tabs. And for the updatemanager, setting one value equal to the other
value...

> I think tabs are a good way of simplifying the backend and make it more
> self explaining to the editors - but therefor the fields have to be
> strictly grouped by their functions. And the grouping has to be suitable
> for pages and tt_content to get a consistent handling.

So, the grouping must fit. See my post with publication & access.

I'm realtive new to T3 (first page in May07), so I do not know the
background, why it is always the way it is. Often the missleading/not
clearly fitting words were my problem in the beginning...

Regards,

Malte