[TYPO3-hci] More usability issues

Martin Sauter martin.sauter at gmx.ch
Sun Nov 4 08:56:27 CET 2007

To bring up some ideas (as Jens asked for):

[1] (Text-)buttons look very much like input fields in the standard TYPO3
skin. That's misleading.

[2] Users can't tell apart (icon-)buttons from icons with a context menu,
because they look the same. We need some special indicator.

[3] There are some dropdowns which change the content of the whole frame
completely (for example the PAGE module where you can switch between Columns
View, Language View, Page Information View etc.; or if you look at the
details of a single extension in the EM: Information View, Edit Files View,
Backup/Delete View etc.) I saw a lot of users not finding these dropdowns.
This should rather be implemented as tabs.

[4] A date picker should become part of the core. (There are some nice
extensions which do that.)

[5] We have display settings, filter settings, special functions etc.
scattered at the top and at the bottom. Why not bring them all together and
put them in a layer than can be folded away if not needed ("Show Tools")?

[6] As a general concept I'd like the possiblity of hiding not used elements
to save space and to get a better overview. We have that concept already in
the modules frame on the left (+/-). Why not apply it to other places as
well? (client-side, whithout a reload, would be nice...)

[7] A "I forgot my password" function should be part of the BE login screen.

Martin