[TYPO3-hci] suggestion for be forms: inline secondary options

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed May 16 21:28:02 CEST 2007

Martin Kutschker wrote: on 15.05.2007 17:26:

>> funny -- I was just thinking about the same issue (just came back from
>> a training for editors) and it's hard to teach the editors this system.
>>
>> I'd like to see either that or some AJAX-bells doing that.
>
> I think AJAX would be better, because the Server doesn't have to render
> the secondary options if you don't want them.

I think it is faster if the rendered palettes are already present in the
client so that they can be toggled without any server-interaction.
Rendering those palettes on server isn't really that much of an efford
because the row, TCA, etc is already loaded. I expect that loading them
on "demand" is potentially *much* more slower for the user experience.

So I like the original idea of Martin: palettes invisible by default,
and displaying them on demand.

What we could do is to send an ajax call to the server just to inform
TYPO3 about the changed state, so that this setting is then stored with
the user preferences. So that next time the user enters this form, that
specific palette is already visible! That would be a very cool feature
as each user can have "their" preferred palettes open and not choose
either "none" or "all", as we currently have.

Cheers,
Ernesto