[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Thu May 25 10:41:51 CEST 2006

Hi!
First of all, i did not read the whole topic.. (just reading message 4
or 5 :) ) But if my arguements weren't said before, they might find an
open ear.. ;)

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> Hi *,
>
> just a few thoughts about making common tasks easier to solve by
> *removing* stuff from the BE:
I wouldn't say remove, but move them around. It would help a lot, if
there are tabs like "Do this", "Do that", "Advanced". And this
"Advanced" tab could show the things a normal user does not use very
often, but a programmer likes..

> 1. Remove page types completely (except for sysfolders, see #2), only
> keep page properties. See the various questions about not-in-menu
> pagetype *and* the property hidden-in-menu, or the question whether
> shortcuts can have subtitles, etc. Basically, we should only have pages
> that have certain properties, and those should be nicely arranged in a
> tabbed interface.
As i allready said, do not remove it, but move it.
Sysfolders could be moved out of page types at all (like explained at
number 2)
A "basic" tab could show page properties like "Normal/Standard", while
"Advanced" could show something like hidden-in-menu or subtitles, etc..

> 2. Make a stricter distinction between pages and sysfolders. It has been
> a best-practice ever since, but it should be enforced strictly: Pages
> contain *only* content records and sysfolders contain all other records
> but no content records. Any ambiguity as to where store stuff should be
> removed.
Ok.. I can *not* agree here totaly. *I would* differentiate between
folders and documents. (like our OS's do too). A folder can handle
documents, a file can handle contents. This would be my first idea. Show
a button "Create a folder", and show a button "Create a document".
PRO: The user knows this concept
CONTRA: It is totally crap for a CMS ;)

Ok.. something different.
We keep the folder concept, like it is. There shouldn't be a restriction
what has to be in where.. This makes it comfortable for the users,
because they can decide, what to put in where. (me for example puts
tt_news elements ( that are contents) in sysfolders)

> 3. If we follow #2, we can remove the distinction between list and page
> for any other options if the functionality (=clipboard and sorting
> mostly) is there.

Why not just add clipboard to _ALL_ parts of TYPO3? This could be
invented into page modul, list modul, even Template modul, where you
could copy TSC Code in RTE and paste it into sysfolder Y, where it would
be creates as a template that becomes automaticly integrated at that
page.. I would combine the main functionalities of all modules, so that
the working situations don't change.

> 4. Remove the access module and put it into the page property dialogue
> where it belongs. It's a matter of debate whether we should have a
> "permissions" tab (only relating to BE users) and a "visibility" tab
> (only for FE stuff like start/stop/hidden/fe-group) or a mix of both
> (because a lot of users confuse this). I'd keep BE and FE stuff
> separated though.
I can agree totally with this

> 5. Remove static templates and all related db tables and columns. They
> are obsolete and have been since 3.6.
Keep them in order to be backwards compatible. We may not forget the
"roots" of TYPO3.

Greetings Andreas