[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Martin Ficzel martin.ficzel at gmx.de
Tue May 23 10:45:45 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> Hi *,
>
> just a few thoughts about making common tasks easier to solve by
> *removing* stuff from the BE:
>
> 1. Remove page types completely (except for sysfolders, see #2), only
> keep page properties. See the various questions about not-in-menu
> pagetype *and* the property hidden-in-menu, or the question whether
> shortcuts can have subtitles, etc. Basically, we should only have pages
> that have certain properties, and those should be nicely arranged in a
> tabbed interface.

+1

> 2. Make a stricter distinction between pages and sysfolders. It has been
> a best-practice ever since, but it should be enforced strictly: Pages
> contain *only* content records and sysfolders contain all other records
> but no content records. Any ambiguity as to where store stuff should be
> removed.

+1

> 3. If we follow #2, we can remove the distinction between list and page
> for any other options if the functionality (=clipboard and sorting
> mostly) is there.

i'm not shure but it's true that it's hard to explain to some redacteurs
that the list view and the page view reflext the same data.

maybe it could be like that (a pure page module, a pure list module, a
auto module wich uses the two others ) and the admin is deciding wich
modules are displayed to the redacteurs.

> 4. Remove the access module and put it into the page property dialogue
> where it belongs. It's a matter of debate whether we should have a
> "permissions" tab (only relating to BE users) and a "visibility" tab
> (only for FE stuff like start/stop/hidden/fe-group) or a mix of both
> (because a lot of users confuse this). I'd keep BE and FE stuff
> separated though.

+1

> 5. Remove static templates and all related db tables and columns. They
> are obsolete and have been since 3.6.

+1

i would suggest to put the old features/templates into a compatibility
extension wich has to be installed by users wich want the old stuff.

i do'nt find it bad to write into the changelog that users wich want the
old templates have to install extension x. that's just another way of
backwards compatibility :-))

regards Martin