[TYPO3-hci] Producing "reports" with TYPO3

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Fri May 19 16:54:14 CEST 2006

Jean-Baptiste Rio wrote:

> Many of us are interested, it's a great job ;) Is there a particular
> raison that you don't want to upload it in the TER ?

Yes :( Money.

First of all let me say that I leave a little bit out of my mind which isn't really related
to you but to others who send me "feature requests" and somehow "demand" I will implement them.

Im a freelancer since last years November and don't write extension "just-for-fun"
anymore ...

It took me about 5 days to write this extension but until know I couldn't really sell
it (A customer meant that this was part of the project).

I already mailed with Lucas Thurston and what he stated is something I asked myself a
long time but can only decline:

2* I do not belive that even if something IS under the GPL that someone can force you to give it away
for free !!! This is a usual misunderstanding of the GPL. If this would be the case OpenSource business
could completly not work !!!

If I have a Linux-Kernel on my USB stick ... and you say: "Give it to me" ... I do not have to do that. I
can say: Yes. But only if you give me 10,- € for carrying it around with my USB stick .... In the same manner
I can say: Yes. But only if you give me xx,- € for writing the extension ....

I do not want to "sell" it forever ... I WILL put it under the GPL and put it in TER ... but only after my
work has been paid somehow ...

I mean: YOU create websites for cutomers and get money ... I do that less (were do you get your customers from ? :)
But rather write extension for other media-agencies ... If now somebody comes up and means: Give me everthing for
free ? What the heck ?!?!?

I think 1.000,- € would be ok for this extension ... And of course not a single person has to pay that but some
companies could pay a part.

Another thing: With every extension I put into TER sometimes someone happens to find a bug ... I am most of the time
willing to fix those .... for free...
But you will notice that as more extensions I put into TER the more work I get which I "have to" do for free ....

Sometimes people also come up with feature request an mean I should do them "just because they want to" ...

I'm really annoyed and a little bit angry on all those people who think that extension for TYPO3 are completly free
of charge !!!

The GPL states: Take it as it is or leave it ...

PS: Usually I don't like money at all ... but since I am a freelance I somehow had to change my mind regarding this
issue. Else my company wont work.

greets,
Bernhard