[TYPO3-hci] Desktop application look and feel

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Fri May 19 09:18:15 CEST 2006

JoH wrote:

> Since many people on different lists are already talking about JavaScript
> and AJAX technologies, it could be possible to "connect" these windows to
> interact like the current backend does.
>
> What do you think?

Hi Joey (when's the book ready?),

I think that a true multi-window solution might not be worth the effort
because only a handful of people actually like this work mode (think
about the gazillion requests to make GIMP more Photoshop-ish with *one*
root window.)

However, I like the idea of being able to drag and resize the parts of
the BE to your liking. This is obviously very possible with JS and
offers a lot of flexibility already, see http://pageflakes.com for an
example (although I would not use AJAX calls for every window in our
case, as it makes everything dog slow...)

Cheers,
Michael