[TYPO3-hci] Let's try to aks the users!

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Fri Jun 30 07:47:49 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow wrote:
> JoH wrote:
>
>> "less ways to do it" doesn't go well with "great variety.
>> IMHO it's one of the major advantages of TYPO3 that there is always more
>> than one way leading to the same goal.
>

> This may be okay for templating etc. but for UI it just means
> inconsistency.
>
>> I would prefer "more possibilities to disable/enable different ways of
>> doing
>> things".
>> This way we could have a fully blown feature rich TYPO3 for the power
>> user
>> as well as the minimalistic one way solution for the anxious newbie.

agreed

> The problem is that 99% of the end users don't know or care that button
> X can actually be disabled, etc. I think even in this list when people
> complain about the BE being too complex for beginners, most of them
> haven't actually seen a properly configured BE (which *can* be done with
> TSConfig).

It doesn't offer as default enough possibilities. After simplyfying with
default TS config, there are still reduncandy. In order to take all
reducandy off from Web > Page module and Web > List I
made tm_contentaccess, which I can simplyfy more.
I made some other interface related changes

* tabbed function menu (Quick Edit etc. as tabs; with certain
condintions Windows XP style tabs)

* TemplaVoila style Columsn view

> Right, I find the actual Joomla UI not very intuitive, but I like the
> colorful buttons ;)

That's an issues of skins. You can change to skin, which uses
Mambo-style buttons. I made a skin, which uses can use the same skin,
but they can define their own module icons (just default module icons
can be changed, not all buttons).