[TYPO3-hci] The Constant Triptichon

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jun 22 11:26:07 CEST 2006

> It seems to me that we have 3 people thinking that the backend
> representing the front end visually in some manner is a good idea -
> and one person (all due respect) obviously in disagreement,

You can count me in, so it's 3:2   :-)

IMHO it 's nothing that should be implemented into 4.5 directly.
We already got FE editing for those who want to do things more complicated.
The majority of the editors is using default BE editing and is very happy
(and fast) with it.

Since 4.5 is about improving overall usability of TYPO3 I don't think it's a
good idea to merge FE and BE editing as a core feature, since it might
confuse the editors even more.
If you are 3 fans of pseudo WYSIWYG editing you could join your efforts and
create a BE module extension instead. (And don't forget to implement a fully
blown RTE so that people don't have to use different content elements
anymore but can copy and paste whole word documents including images, lists
and tables directly into the system to get even more WYSIWYG. - SCNR)
If it get's at least a 5digit number of downloads in the TER it might be
interesting to implement it into the core.

IMHO TYPO3 is meant to work as a Content _Management_ System not an
Online-Dreamweaver-Clone. So editors are more like managers and less like
designers.
This is why they are using a system like TYPO3, so they don't have to care
about design and layout anymore, while they can concentrate on the important
stuff, which is writing and editing the content in a way they are used to.

But since TYPO3 is a modular and extendable system, a BE module extension
would be a good choice to find out if this is what people really want.
IMHO a great number of the TV downloads is due to the fact that the tutorial
is called "futuristic template building" so maybe you should choose a
similar wording to get better results ;-)

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de