[TYPO3-hci] The Constant Triptichon

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Jun 16 00:04:57 CEST 2006

Quentin Dewhurst wrote:

> Why not have the backend truly reflect the front end though?
My question would be: why would anyone ever want this? You already have
the FE editing.
> - this doesnt
> have to be uber difficult or tricky to configure via the backend either -
> the front end template could be interpreted via the backend automatically,
> displaying a visual representation to the user.

So how would you propose, with this method, that documentation be
created? People already complain about TYPO3's documentation, having a
nonstandard editing interface would make it impossible to create
documentation for anything other than "theoretical" editing or on a
site-by-site basis. Removing a standard "every installation gets this
interface" interface in place of one that changes with every site would
mean the best we could ever hope for out of documentation would be
sketchy details about how "this element may be here, or there, please
consult your developer for more specifics regarding your site." All of a
sudden you take the burden of documentation off the community and place
it squarely on each individual developer for even basic editing tasks
such as "Create a new content element". Even adding TV created new
standardization issues with documenting TYPO3 as a system, and placed a
lot of the work on each site developer.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ideas are cool, and the technology is
cool. I loved it when Netscape started letting you customize your own
portal pages with drag and drop years ago. But for making the system
usable and supportable for tens of thousands of end-users, all of which
need to be trained at some time and many of whom only have basic
computer skills, having a standard interface for all means usability.
Having tens of thousands of custom one-off interfaces introduces so many
supportability and maintainability issues that it's no wonder Microsoft
may change the look of Windows, or refine some features, or add new
features, but since 1995 the interface hasn't changed at all and they
don't seem to be suffering from a lack of adoption.

Cheers,
Alex