[TYPO3-hci] New to T3 internals - Is the backend abstracted? Complete overhaul of the BE?

t3hci at projekte.richdale.de t3hci at projekte.richdale.de
Wed Jun 14 12:51:18 CEST 2006

Am 14.06.2006 um 12:37 schrieb Marion Seitz:
> Our "clients" mainly have rudimentary hardware and software. They
> don't have fancy computers and they usually don't allow Java, Flash
> and the likes on their websites. They use TYPO3 because they know
> that they must use the internet and need a CMS - but they don't
> usually have the capability or even willingness to allow more than
> HTML (broadly speaking) - even JavaScript has had a hard time
> getting accepted...
>
> I don't have the technical background to fully explain - but I do
> hope you get my point: TYPO3 has only been interesting for us
> because it is so easily accessible and doesn't need all that fancy
> stuff. Although I am extremely in favour of simplifying the
> backend: please don't forget about all the humble users out there.
> Please don't get carried away. Visions are a wonderful thing. But
> TYPO3 should be careful with them.

Nobody is getting carried away. T3 - or any other WCMS for that
matter - should always have a pure HTML backend that works cross-
browser no matter what. I think it's safe to say that everybody here
agrees on that. That's why, in order for alternatives to thrive, the
backend needs an abstraction layer. Think of the part of T3
generating the HTML output for the admin view as just one of many
clients that just happens to run on the server, then you get the
picture.
Bottom line: Don't worry. T3 will stay as 'accessible' as it allways
was. More powerfull backends that rely on VMs and other stuff will be
added in an orderly fashion with the installer to choose which ones
he wants activated or presented as default.

I find it suprising that you've considered T3 for it's accessability.
In my opinion T3 is a lot of things, but not exactly the hallmark of
accessability compared to other OSS CMSes. :-)

Phillip