[TYPO3-hci] ajax and conservative skins?

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Tue Jun 13 22:20:43 CEST 2006

I first like to quote from the wiki:
 >When discussing concrete solutions we will need to know what
 >requirements to compatibility we operate within: (R&D committee has
 >final decision on this): All features must run in these browsers
 >regardless of platform (Kaspers suggestion):
 >
 >    * Konqueror (latest stable)
 >    * Safari (latest stable)
 >    * Mozilla/Firefox (1.xx+?)
 >    * MSIE (6.xx+?)
 >
 >Two-track principle for all basic functionality:
 >
 >    * Modern, AJAX whistle and bells (client validated) [inaccessible,
 >unreliable - but fun and fluent]
 >    * Conservative GET/POST (server validated) [accessible - but
boring >and slow]

 >Problems:
 >
 >    * Typical ActiveX/JavaScript/security/firewall settings that could
 >prevent features will require a fall back solutions?
 >
 >Backend Accessibility (blind people etc)?
 >http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php

Well, what would you think about, if just the skin "plattform" would be
changed? I mean not creating a skin that is only able to run in ajax
capable browsers, but including classes for skins to use ajax. So just
splitting the content output and input of BE into two areas:
+ use of ajax
+ use of GET/Post

If we would do this, i think there would be many new skins. Of course we
  could create an official ajax skin, but i think for 4.5 it's not
really needed. We could invent a new skin for 5.0.

By the way: I think, that __the server should__ validate all input data,
not the unsecure browser.

Greetings
Andreas