[TYPO3-hci] Usability Test

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Wed Jun 7 22:53:29 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:
> Hi Sebastian and others.
>
> I agree that usability testing is something we should do at some point.
> Today I read about all the methods you mention in details so I feel well
> informed at this stage. However, I was thinking of a technical solution
> which could be interesting.
>
> In a usability lab it seems the primary goal is to record what a)
> happens on screen and b) the dialogue between the test person and test
> leader. In addition is is nice to see the face of the test person on
> video as well - and the pros are also careful to make the whole
> environment friendly and "homesome" to the user.
>
> Today we have better technology. Let me describe a solution that would
> surely work:
>
> I'm the test leader, sitting in Denmark. Mac.
> Ursula is the test person, sitting at company X in germany and uses
> TYPO3 2-3 times a week. Windows.
> Kasper calls Ursula on Skype which both have installed. If Ursula
> hasn't, Kasper uses SkypeOut to call a regular phone.
> On Ursulas computer a VNC server is running. Kasper connects to her
> server with a mac client. Kasper now sees her screen on his mac in a
> window!
> Kasper starts a screenrecorder application which is also able to capture
> the macs output audio hence the Skype-interview along with the screen.
> Ursula receives the URL, username and password by mail and the test
> begins, screen and sound is recorded on Kaspers laptop directly to a
> mov-file, easily shared.
>
> Advantage:
> - No expensive lab and equipment
> - No difficulties with travel etc. Very economic on time!
> - Ursula is _exactly_ in her usual environment - a thing they dream to
> reproduce at the usability lab!
> - persons from all over the world is tested in a day!
> - It costs next to nothing (important for Open Source Software project)
> - Data is collected in an easily shared format (mov files, mpg,
> whatever) with not post-processing required.
>
> Disadvantage:
> - Getting Ursulas screen picture transmitted to Kasper! Most likely she
> cannot be expected to set up a VNC server, neither will she have access
> to modify the router/firewall to allow Kaspers remote connection. So the
> VNC solution is more or less out of the question. BUT...: does another
> technology exist - such as a Java applet available from a website -
> which allows to share a desktop for a single session and doesn't give
> problems with firewalls etc?
>

> - kasper

Hi Kasper!
http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/ could be a solution.  Or better
http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/addons/singleclick.html

It's free script, that can be modified to show own logo, etc.. and
creates a connection from the viewer's pc to the server with ultravnc
installed. So there's no problem with Firewalls, or anything like that..

By the way: I would like to take part in this test ;)

Greetings
Andreas