[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at gmx.net
Mon Jul 31 22:02:28 CEST 2006

On 7/31/06, Johannes Reichardt <typo3 at gramba.de> wrote:
> I do not see a real point here. There are lots of extensions with
> community features for example that extend the fe_user records a lot -
> that would be just overhead for be users. Also in terms of db
> normalization that way is better i guess.

The point is that this separation is not intuitive and complicates
everything. Even if it means a little bit more overhead it is better
to have only one single user type who gets access to the BE based on
his permissions instead of based on his user entry type. It's
something that adds unnecessary complexity in the UI and also when
interfacing with other tools (e.g.: Trac). Nobody really needs it and
nobody has a good reason why they have to be separated. So, why not
make this simpler? Or do you plan to keep this design forever even if
it's wrong?

> I´d rather focus on making
> typo3 more accessible from the fe - right now there are lots of things
> that are restricted to the be - functions you would miss sometimes.

My main focus is on the BE. That's the major part that is too
complicated. Packing too much functionality into the FE won't help
usability, so this is important, too, but I'd like to simplify the BE
before moving to the FE (which is not very simple, either).

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald