[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Mon Jul 31 15:57:54 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow wrote:

> 2. If you need community features like user-registration, user-owned
> profiles and pages, discussion forums, whatever, TYPO3 is *not* the
> right tool unless you know what you're doing.

how these could be improved?
Typo3 has user-owned pages, discussion forums - but certainly they could
be better

what kind of profiles would be needed?

> 5. Typical TYPO3 sites are basically non-interactive. This might not
> sound very WEB 2.0ish where anybody can tag and edit anything and make
> an RSS feed out of it, but there are still millions of web sites that
> don't need FE users at all.

many of our customers have FE-pages - they are needed

> 6. In-place (or FE) editing might sound like a good idea for small
> sites, but it sucks for everything that has no direct representation in
> the page, and it sucks for training of editors. Unless the structure of
> content input is trivial (like in Wordpress), there's no use in mixing
> your site layout with content input.
> There is a reason why practically every plone site looks identical: A
> consistent usability can only be done with a consisten layout structure.
>  Using a separate BE enables you to train your editors without needing
> to stick to a particular page layout or template.

and it is possible to make tailored FE editing - endeed copy/cut and
paste into fronend would be nice to move content from one page to
another page like that is possible in Backend using templavoila,
tm_contentaccess or kb_nescefe, which all have copy/cut/paste for
content elements in the main page module.

> 7. News, forums, blogs are *not* the first thing I'm installing in TYPO3
> because they are more complicated to set up and have less features than
> most dedicated frameworks.

then there is work to make them better