[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Mon Jul 31 15:35:18 CEST 2006

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

[lots of stuff]

Waldemar,

I honestly don't see why we should make TYPO3 more Plone-like. If you
need a more portal-like CMS have a look at drupal or a nuke clone. If
you only dislike Plone for performance or deployment reasons, than
violating TYPO3 to behave like Plone looks like an awkward decision to me.

TYPO3 is mainly a tool to put content online, not a community or
collaboration framework. This has been done intentionally because there
are tons of good frameworks for this, like Plone or trac or Mediawiki. I
don't see the point of you using TYPO3 when you disagree with any and
every design decision in it:

1. If you need a system to manage web pages in many languages, with
flexbible templating, on-the-fly image manipulation and all that, then
TYPO3 is for you.

2. If you need community features like user-registration, user-owned
profiles and pages, discussion forums, whatever, TYPO3 is *not* the
right tool unless you know what you're doing.

3. Both the page tree and content elements are indeed a very brilliant
idea because you can easily move stuff around, you have infinite
flexibility in re-using content and doing translations.

4. FE users are an add-on concept that has nothing to do with content
editing but is solely there for access restrictions to *viewing* content.

5. Typical TYPO3 sites are basically non-interactive. This might not
sound very WEB 2.0ish where anybody can tag and edit anything and make
an RSS feed out of it, but there are still millions of web sites that
don't need FE users at all.

6. In-place (or FE) editing might sound like a good idea for small
sites, but it sucks for everything that has no direct representation in
the page, and it sucks for training of editors. Unless the structure of
content input is trivial (like in Wordpress), there's no use in mixing
your site layout with content input.
There is a reason why practically every plone site looks identical: A
consistent usability can only be done with a consisten layout structure.
  Using a separate BE enables you to train your editors without needing
to stick to a particular page layout or template.

7. News, forums, blogs are *not* the first thing I'm installing in TYPO3
because they are more complicated to set up and have less features than
most dedicated frameworks.

Cheers,
Michael