[TYPO3-hci] Typoscript "Code-Editor"

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Sun Jul 30 21:46:18 CEST 2006

Hi Y'all,

I did some thinking on this topic on my holiday this summer as well.
here is my vision:

- Real PHP objects: TypoScript should configure real PHP objects
behind the scenes. For instance, all "cObjects" will in PHP be
defined as an abstract class and "TEXT", "IMAGE" etc. will extend
that abstract class.
- Public variables: All properties of a TypoScript object corresponds
to whatever public instance variables are in the PHP object (yes,
this requires PHP 5).
- 100% extendable: All TypoScript objects are supplied through
extensions; Thus "TEXT", "IMGTEXT" etc. are delivered through some
system extension but not anymore special than what any third party
extension would provide
- Semantics: Each object has a way to expose its "configuration".
This is what allows us to read out what properties can be set so we
can check semantics. Same API will deliver clearly defined data
types, full documentation for properties and might even give example
implementations.
- TypoScript is renamed to "TypoConfig" which is what it really is.

This is the basics. This also allows that these PHP objects are used
directly inside extensions - and TypoScript becomes demystified
because its just a high level way to configure objects people could
also use directly in their PHP code.

TypoScript can still be written "by hand" in text fields, files or
whatever - or it can be written via some AJAX powered form interface
where you tick off the properties you want to set, then a nice form
field allows you only the options that the data type defines. - and
by the way, why not implement the possibility to access control right
away. You could imagine that through this mechanism its very easy to
give end users access to individual TypoScript properties without
compromising security.

The downside is that this looks like a TYPO3 5.0 project!

On T3DD I plan that the HCI session will focus on issues like this
which can be defined as usability improvements targetted at
developers! Come and give your input at that session!

- kasper

On Jul 19, 2006, at 11:40 , Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:

> Bernhard Kraft schrieb am 19.07.2006 11:05:
>
>>> I think this is what the "CONSTANT EDITOR" is about. In my
>>> opinion, this
>>> is what has to be considered in its usability: Adding more
>>> possibilities
>>> and flexibility to the constant editor and integrating extensions
>>> like
>>> constant_editor (to allow non-admin access to certain properties).
>>
>> Pherhpas it would be enough to add "Tabs" to the constant editor
>> in addition
>> to let the user select which extension he wants to configure.
>>
>> the constants get read out of ext_typoscript_constants.php and we
>> would just
>> have to add another "key" for setting the tab they appear in.
>
> I think its not just a matter of having tabs (which I think would help
> already!). Other things that pop into my mind:
>
> - have a page-browser for selecting page-ids when the property
> expects a
> page-id
> - have a file-browser to choose a file from fileadmin for
> properties of
> the type "file" (you currently can only upload a "new" file, which is
> kind of ugly!)
> - more flexible "categories" to group related properties
> - some kind of standardized (and documented!) way to configure global
> stuff that every extension might need to access
>
> I've added those stuff in the wiki [1] so that they get not lost.
>
> Cheers,
> Ernesto
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Usability_No-