[TYPO3-hci] Typoscript "Code-Editor"

David Toshack david at vaultin.com
Mon Jul 17 04:03:06 CEST 2006

Mark Stephenson wrote:
> Bernhard,
>
>         The editor you created looks like a great start. It seems like
> the progression of typoscript editing capabilities might go like this:
>
> 1. Basic language-sensitive editor like you show here that colors-codes
> the text and catches the syntax errors common to all typoscript. This
> would be very beneficial right now.
>
> 2. Language-sensitive editor that reads typescript script specifications
> from the core and from installed extensions. The editor dynamically
> evaluates the full syntax and highlights the text accordingly. It shows
> every syntax error. As Kasper (and perhaps others) suggest, this
> requires a mechanism to define the typoscript syntax within the core and
> within each extension.
>
> 3. A system configuration tool that eliminates the need to enter or even
> see the actual typoscript (although you could always toggle to #2 if you
> prefer). This tool would write 100% correct typoscript and
> administrators would be provided with a series of dynamically-created
> menus and forms and wizards that give access to all the functionality of
> typoscript.
>
> In our experience working with many administrators of TYPO3, the biggest
> challenge is configuring their website via typoscript. So having #3
> would be of great value. By the way, this editor should also take over
> the constant editor functions.

Would flexforms come close to fulfil the requirements of a GUI system
configuration tool? Maybe we can enhance it through the use of dynaflex
to fit the bill?

I'm just wondering about the possibilities of a flexform type interface
approach be consistent throughout tt_content datastructures, typoscript,
pageTS and userTS.

Sounds like a lot of work, but just a thought.

Cheers,
David