[TYPO3-hci] Summary of BE vs. FE

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Thu Aug 10 15:13:23 CEST 2006

Hi

Here summary of improvement proposals on the base of the discussion

1) New way to use nested content elements. They could be put in one
WYSIWYG area using icons, which would be links to configuration
2) Web List could show page related folders and file or new module for
this purpose For every page own folder like in Plone - only need to
create those folders on-demand (when a file actually exists).
3) Better new page creation – options ‘Page inside’, ‘Page after’
wizard. SELECT-menu or inlinepopup. Maybe also in context menu a
submenu. Only if wizard needed a new view for this task. Default
db_new.php could be better showing all options together.
4) Create new record also into the top of the page. Can be implemented
easiest adding new icon after ‘View page’ on top-left corner. see
http://t3test.xetpoint.com/media/development/inproved_create_new_page.png
5) Better default news/blog module (listed as "special element" or
separate "plugin"?).
6) Automatically display quick-add feature for items belonging to some
plugin (e.g.: news items). This should also work when the given plugin
retrieves its items from some other page (e.g.: news listing on front
page and archive page, but quick-add will always add to archive).
7) Create two different view modes: "simple" and "advanced" which are
available by default. The current default install (which I'm working
with ATM) doesn't have anything in that direction.
8) Center interface around the page tree, by default. For example, I
really like the generic idea behind this screenshot (posted by Andreas
Balzar):
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-hci/attachments/20060521/d7f6f06b/attachment-0001.png
9) Instead of showing the different page view modes on the left we
should use tabs in the page section on the right, so the connection
between the page and its view modes becomes more apparent. I haven't
read the whole list archive, so I don't know which of my suggestions is
a duplicate...
10) When I click on "Filelist", by default, no folder is selected, so I
get an empty view. That's a little bit confusing. Could the filelist
please always open the root folder, by default (and not allow for having
no folder selected)?
11)  Maybe in "Filelist" thumbnails should be displayed, by default?
12) Combining FE and BE users (left open)