[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Wed Aug 2 11:17:55 CEST 2006

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

>> I find it a little weird that you don't understand this
>> distinction--this is the application/file manager distinction that every
>> modern OS has. It's the model where you use a customized application for
>> authoring files and a file-manager like the Finder in OSX or Windows
>> Explorer on Windows to manage files.
>

> But TYPO3 already has a container type: pages
> Why do you want to introduce yet another similar, but totally distinct
> concept?
Honestly, Walder, I don't understand you.

Pages are database records - they can't be browsed with File Manager.
File Manager can't browse database records.

Why not have tool to browse files - if you don't need it,
don't use it and disable from normal users, if you regard that
they don't need Fime Manager.

File Manager is *not* a different concept, because *it is not a concept
at all*. It just a tool.
Tools are useful. Typo3 has integrated PhpMyAdmin - tool also.
That too could be a stand-alone - but is is much nicer if you
have integrated tools.