[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Tue Aug 1 20:29:12 CEST 2006

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

> Do you think those editor would have been able to do anything without
> your training?
 > Somehow this doesn't speak for Typo3's usability.
 > Once you can train someone you have eliminated a lot of problems. The
 > point is that the CMS should be usable *without training*.

Agreed. In fact I have really tried to make issues obvious - not
necessary tying to create the simplest possible solution but the most
obivious.
http://t3test.xetpoint.com/media/development/backendediting5.png
http://t3test.xetpoint.com/media/development/backendediting6.png

http://t3test.xetpoint.com/media/development/backendediting5.png
1) *Easy* usable tabs for changing view - if there is no need for
different view, view selctor tab can be disabled - this should be easy
and obvious to use - *not* the most minimalistic solution!

2) Basic page actions with text - *no* dupciates anywhere for these
task. *no* mixing actions, which relates with content elements and pages
- default actions are messy mixture and the interface and *three* action
buttons for some of them - really awfull and really bad usability

http://t3test.xetpoint.com/media/development/backendediting6.png
3) as easy to make actions as possible to edit individual content
elements in BE - I have tried to make everything as obvious as possible.

For me it *total failure* If people need much training to use this
BE view.

I would use these as *basic* level - something could be taken off and
something added afterward - the default layout would *not* be absolute
minimum but neither full or redundant actions.

I know that TemplaVoila tries to avoid redundancy - but for some user
also it need simpfications.