[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Tue Aug 1 18:25:11 CEST 2006

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

> I'm saying that the CMS should recognize which files are related to
> some page. I'm just saying that as the end-user you should store files
> in the related page instead of some totally different location which
> has nothing to do with the page (i.e.: the file browser has nothing to
> do with your page).

the default filebrowser use as the root folder the folder,
which user normally upload images ect.
and developers keep their HTML-temlates and related stuff.
Normally files need to uploaded somewhere before they put them to the
web-pages - endeed many contents allow direct uploads, when
CMS copy images automatic into another destination and the user
doesn't need to show place, where to upload them (possible if just one
file is needed to upload).

> Which I think is not appropriate for a CMS.
It is quite useless for normal users because they can see needed images
and other files just using insert image/ insert file dialog boxes.

if you want that normal user can see list of related files,
that is just partially possible.
It is possible for such files, which has set relation information into
database.
But the problem is that contents can be linked.
You write content 'A', which has link to image 'B'.
You create a new content 'C', which just links to content 'A'
- that is just a shortcut to content 'A'.

If you create list of related files, how you would mark 'C'.
If content 'A' shared and it is used in *every* page, how you mark that?
Every page has then something to do with the file 'B'.

If you want information about related files, it is not simple to decide,
what should be shown.

Because the the template defines that content is used in every page,
in order to get information, Typo should scan all templates.
Every page and every template should be scanned.

Reasonable to show only simple links - no shorcuts, no shared contents.