[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at gmx.net
Tue Aug 1 12:59:03 CEST 2006

On 8/1/06, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
>  >Well, you could have two kinds of views for folders: list view and
> image view  (like in WinXP)
>
> they are in fact two kinds of views - maybe better names could be used.

But why does the whole folder tree appear separated? I'd prefer to
have only one folder tree and switch the view on the right for the
currently selected folder instead of browsing two separate trees.

> > Why are files not part of a page's List View? You could handle files
> > exactly like any other items and completely get rid of the special
> > "Files" section. Files would be easier to find if they were part of
> > the main page referring to them.
>
> because image can be just as reserve - they are not necessarily used
> in Web-pages at all. Or they are just linked.
> They are *not* database records like
> records, which are listed in Web > List.
> That's why it is reasonable to separate Web > List and
> Files.
> People must know, which are *database* records and which are just
> independent files.

But those records in Web>List aren't necessarily shown on the page,
either. In those cases where the image/file is hidden you can create a
hidden page which acts like a folder. In many cases your file/image
will actually appear on some page and it's more intuitive to put
related files and pages together. Typo3 has too many separate concepts
which could easily be unified. Every new concepts means that you have
to learn it. Why don't you try to reduce the number of concepts?

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald