[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Tue Aug 1 08:01:40 CEST 2006

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

>> How to put the config to the field if the button is in the middle
>> of the content?
>

> You could store it in a separate table if you like. Every marker could
> get an ID which can be associated with its settings in the settings
> table. There is a multitude of solutions. It's not really the problem,
> is it?

in fact you propose just a new way to nest content elements (Typo3 has
many ways to nest content elements).
Typo3 store info of individual plugin in a page as a content element -
using the same record type as for normal content.
Storing config *must* follow the practise of other plugins in avoid
to need to make special plugins just for this practise. Concerning all
content elements, is is possible *unlimited* to extend them - to add
more properties to define. And for users/user group level hide to show
some definition. Typo3 doesn't use fixed, unflexible plugins, which have
always the same properties to define. The flexibility must maintain.

If editing source code is disabled (then destroying the icon + link
would not happen so oftern), in pricinple it would be possible
to build a plugin, which lists other plugins and gives possibity to
drag'ndrop plugin-related icon to WYSIWYG editor. Because existing
plugins don't support that possibility, plugin designer should create
himself the list of possible icons. In addition it needs a new plugin
for the WYSIWYG editor too. HTMLAREA for Typo3 and TinyMCE for Typo3
have two typo3-specific plugin - implementing your idea they would nee
third Typo3-specific plugin.

Where to store new content elements?

If you need in a page just square for content that system could work as
a new alternative. But because in needs a square it can't be the only
way. Thinking about my clients this system could have worked for *some*
clients but just some - but totally impossible for some clients because
content must be in separate content areas navigations or limeters
separating content areas. At least supporting of separate content area
are *always* needed for typo3. How to put content elements inside those
content areas, is an issue, which can be discussed.