[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Tue Aug 1 01:21:30 CEST 2006

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

 > Okay, let's start simple. :)
 >
 > On 7/31/06, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
 >
 >> Alternative page module (TemplaVoila) resemble this (it doesn't just
 >> have text with icons and no content- element related extra information)
 >>
 >> http://t3test.xetpoint.com/media/development/backendediting5.png
 >>

 >> give suggestion how to improve that - IMO usings many separate content
 >> areas and content elements in order to get necessary configuration and
 >> flexibility
 >

 > There are lots of buttons. :)

this is *my* opinion of buttons

 > I doubt that at least "Hide" is very important (maybe it could move to
 > the context-menu), but I'm not absolutely sure.

all those buttons are *also* in the context menu - but it is slow to use
the context menu - I really like copy/cut/paste/hide as separate buttons
(I use context menu only if I really need it).

And in my plugin you can remove any buttons except 'Edit'. The order of
button is my opion of the order - maybe not the best order.
But it is too complicated to give users set the order - nothing else
than just too complicated (not impossible).

 > Why is the "Paste" button not always next to the button "New content
 > after this one"? That makes it more obvious what will happen.

this is my bug - in fact it could be easily move to that place.
In the alternative TemplaVoila paste button *is* after 'new'.
I must fix this bug.

 > In the
 > current scheme you might wonder whether pasting will overwrite the
 > other item or whether the new item will be placed below or above the
 > other item.

it will be put the pasted element below the existing item.
In the top of each content areas the paste icon is on the right side of
'New content to top', where it is quite obvious, where the pasted
content comes. It should be also in 'New content after this one'

 > It's not obvious that you can click the record's icon to access a
 > context-menu.

true - this must tell to the user because it is not obvious but
there is no way to tell, where to find the context menu. I would be
silly to put 'Context menu is here'.

 > All buttons and clickable elements should stick out
 > (3D-effect).

there is not two versions for normal state and onmouseover state for
icons in order to create 3D-effect - just one - only :hover CSS-effect.
Some background image with :hover possible.

 > There is no good separation between each record. The row with the "New
 > content ..." button should get a different background color, so the
 > page looks cleaner.

maybe - to use the same color was just my opinion - looked nice that all
buttons are gray

 > The content buttons have too long labels. Why can't they just be
 > called "Add Content"?

my opinion - text labels are mine

 > Isn't it obvious where the record will be placed?

IMO not - IMO they needed some extra word to be obvious - but this is
just my opinion.

Also, a nicer icon can indicate what will happen (visualize

 > whether it will be placed between two items or at the top or bottom).

paste icon has arrow *downward* which should visualize that it paste
*after* something.

 > The record's context-menu is too overloaded. Why do items that already
 > appear as buttons next to the record have to be shown in the
 > context-menu, too?

context menu is what it is as default. It is possible to take off
default items from the context menu (it is not possible to take off such
items, which some extension developers have added to it, when they
created plugins).

 > Context-menus should mostly be used for accessing
 > hidden functionality, not functionality that can be accessed via
 > buttons directly next to the item.

 > Can't the row at the top (page name and buttons) replace the
 > PAGECONTENT row or at least PAGECONTENT go away? It only takes up
 > screen space and has no real function (the rows already mention the
 > word "Content" and an "Add Content" would make it obvious, too).

The row *has* meaning. The view can show *also* calendar and address
items. It is not redundant - except in case that there is just normal
content elements. It is not possible to take off just PAGECONTENT
- also other headers will disappear, which is bad, if there are CALENDAR
ITEMS etc. too!

 > The context-menu when clicking on a page icon is very overloaded, too.

It is possible to take off default items from this context menu too.

 > * there is "hide" and "visibility settings"
 > * is "Info" really so important that it has to be directly accessible?

All in the tab row can be disabled (Coluns, Quick Edit ...) - I have
commonly disabled 'Page information' - and sometimes the whole tab bar,
if only one tab is needed.

 > * why does "Web>List" have to be directly accessible?

I have wondered the same (it is sometimes handy) - but I have not done
anything to disable that functionality (If Web > List) is disable for a
user/user group it will be disabled automatic. Basically it is easy to
add option to disable that button.

 > * in general, some items can either be moved to a submenu or be
removed entirely

In fact you can disable many issues with default options of Typo3 - and
using my plugin more - endeed it seems that more possibities to disable
buttons is needed.

 > In the left-most navbar why do we need "Info" and "Functions"? Can't
 > they be moved to a less obvious place? IMHO they are not important
 > enough to be always visible.

that's your opinion - I like them as a tabs in the place where they are.
But of cource they could be elsewhere. Originally functions are
SELECT-menu above the language menu like the language menu ('Default' =
Default language - that is language menu).

Language selector exists only if there are more than one language
version from the content. Alternative page module has it in a tab style
menu with hidden/visible functionality.

 > Then, why is there a distinction between images and files? Can't Typo3
 > automtically recognize the file type?

different presentation - image show *only* mages and in the real size,
but files also other kinds of files. It is reasonable to have two kind
of presentation modes.

 > And pretty please fix the BE-FE user separation. :)

I can't do anything for that - but I can propose to improve the
interface - note that
http://t3test.xetpoint.com/media/development/backendediting5.png
is just my personal proposal, no official proposal